20 February 2010

New Material



One thing that cracks me up about working in a restaurant is that we are never at a loss for new material. Some people, I think, tend to be comfortable enough with their lives that they miss out on what theologians call "total depravity". Since I am in a theological mood of late, I will feel free to use this oft-misunderstood term. It does not mean that we are as bad as we can be. In fact, nobody is as bad as they can be while they walk this earth. What it means is that every part of us is affected or changed by the fall of man. Our minds, wills, and our hearts are all mangled by this thing we call sin. I do not know a better theologian when it comes to this phrase than a waiter, but I digress.

Last night I was reminded of this key concept. I had just begun serenading a table of 4 with our appetizers (when I say I had just begun, I mean that I was not done with the 1st) when the man with the wine list reached his point of critical mass.

"You are killing me". He said looking at nobody in particular. This is what we like to call "passive aggressive", just so you know.

"Excuse me sir, are you looking for a particular wine?" I suggested, in a feeble hope that he was not referring to me.

"NOPE."

That we like to refer to as a definitive statement for me to leave and come back later (like for their order, bringing their food, and bringing their check...also known as 3-point service). Others would call it a crazy-obvious social gaffe, but who's keeping score, right?

So I went away in a mix of shame and anger (ok, mostly anger) and waited for the Magistrate to call me back to his service, which, of course, he did when he wanted to look at two bottles of wine before he would render a decision. Yes, that is how the pros do it. Not only would I like to look at a list of wine, but I also need to see at least two of the bottles before I can choose, just to make sure you're not pulling the old switcheroo on the labels after I bought it. Or something to that effect.

As you can imagine, I was having a blast with this table, and my excitement was only enhanced when one of the women pulled my favorite move. You guessed it, the old wave-over. Nothing like being a grown man being beckoned by another human being by a wave of the hand. Its like a recipe for a good time, right?

It only got better when I got to the table and everybody was talking. Me standing there for about a minute with nobody's attention. Thanks for making a point to call me over. I'll be leaving now.


Of course, this sets off a cacophony of four voices calling out my name in desperation. I have made a habit of ignoring such voices calling me as I would call my dog. I did relent last night when a coworker also pointed out the sad pleas (he pointed it out in front of them so my thin cover would be blown if I kept walking). Now they are ready to order. The universe has hope once again!

If you know me, dear reader, you would know that when I am annoyed or angry I have a habit of being very quiet and short with others. I confess that I was very quiet and short with this table, performing my job as well as I ever would just without falsely acting like we were all pals.

For whatever reason, the same woman who had previously been so rude decided to change courses. She took an interest in my overall demeanor and suggested out of thin air:

"Casey, honey, you need to lighten up."

"Thank You." I said, uttering the only words that came to mind which were not four letters in duration.

I am learning what it means to follow Jesus. I am learning what it means to bless others even when they curse me. I am learning what it means to love my enemy like Jesus did and expressly told me to do in the bible. I was not cursed or enduring persecution in the physical sense that so many are right now in the world but in its own way these scenarios are a kind of barb into me.
I do not know how else to handle this situation and maybe I do need to lighten up at times. Who knows? But the more I have thought about it today, the more the simple command in all of what Jesus said comes to my mind.

"Pray for those who persecute you". So I will shut up for now and pray for these people that the blessing would fall to them like it has to me. That God would be their God. That they would be his people.

At least that much is clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment